I Was Injured In A Motor Vehicle Accident. Should I Sue?

Vehicle Accident Lawyer

Being injured in a car accident, motorcycle accident or another type of motor vehicle collision can seem to punch a hole in your life. It can feel as if there are too many tasks you have to complete, while in pain or seriously incapacitated, before you can return to any semblance of a normal life.

While it could be tempting to accept whatever the other driver’s insurance company is offering, if you have suffered a serious injury as the result of a car accident, you could stand to lose a lot if you do not consider the option of suing the responsible parties in a personal injury lawsuit.

At , there are several benchmarks our lawyers use to determine if it makes sense for a potential client to sue after being injured in a wreck.

When To File A Personal Injury Lawsuit After Being Injured In A Car Accident

  • When you have suffered significant injuries in the accident. A claim in civil court can help you recover the compensation you need if you have been temporarily or permanently disabled, or if you will require ongoing care and treatment.
  • When you can prove that the other party was at fault. If you have evidence from a police report or witness statements that the other driver was distracted, texting or talking on the phone, driving recklessly or otherwise at fault, you may have a strong case.
  • When you are clear about the level of insurance coverage possessed by the negligent party. California sets the minimum coverage limits for insurance at $15,000. This low amount is rarely sufficient to help you recover after a serious accident. If you have purchased your own insurance to cover a collision with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, you may be able to submit a claim to your own insurance company that helps you pay your medical bills and cover ongoing expenses.
  • When you have damages far beyond your medical bills. An initial insurance company offer, outside of a lawsuit, is unlikely to cover noneconomic losses such as mental suffering, inconvenience or emotional distress.

Discover Your Post-Accident Options

Our law firm is based in Redwood City, but represents clients throughout the Bay Area and across California. To set up an initial free case consultation with an attorney, call , or use our convenient online form.